How Much Will a DUI Arrest Cost?
Legal fees and other costs can range from a few thousand dollars to as
much as $50,000 or more.
Cost in Dollars ($5,000 - $10,000 average):
- Bail: $150 - $2,500 (cost of bond is usually 10-15%)
- Attorney Fees: $800 - $5,000 for first offense ($15,000-$50,000 when injury or death is
caused). Call a
for a free consultation to find out what your legal fee and other costs will
- Cost of Expert Witness: $2,500-$5,000 (if needed)
- Court Fines, Penalties & Fees: $300 - $5,000
- Car Insurance Increase: $3,600 - $6,600 (AAA estimates $2,200 a year for
Other Financial Costs:
- Lost Salary/Income
- Loss of Job
- Medical Costs (may not be covered by insurance)
- Damage to Car or Motorcycle (not covered by insurance)
- Liability for Property Damage To Others
- Liability for Personal Injury to Others
Cost in Time:
- Jail/Community Service: 2 days - 2 years (up to 30 years & 10 years
causing injury or death)
- Probation: weekly visits with drug/alcohol tests 6-36 months
- DUI Treatment Program: 3 - 30 months
- Drivers License Suspension: 4 months - 5 years
A felony conviction will subject you to a substantial loss of rights including
inability to obtain a pistol license and loss of right to vote. If a
person is not a US citizen and is convicted of a felony, the person may be
deported after completion of jail or other sentence.
Additional difficulties can include family problems, divorce, loss of custody of
children, bad influence on children, and serious injury or death of a spouse or
child when in your car at the time of an accident.
If a guilty plea is not entered; a plea of not guilty is entered; a plea bargain
is not reached; and you are convicted at trial, you may consider retaining an
appellate lawyer to handle your criminal appeal. Legal fees to handle a
criminal appeal will probably range from $10,000-$20,000.
If you have been arrested for DUI, DWI, or another charge
involving drinking while driving, get a free consultation with a
DWI Lawyer or