Federal Drug Crimes

Criminal Law Article Index

Find a Drug Lawyer

Drug Crimes-Federal Charges

Both federal and state laws regulate illegal drugs, but penalties for federal drug charges are usually far more severe than for state drug charges.

What makes a drug crime a federal drug crime?

There are many ways that a state or a local drug crime can become a federal drug crime.  For instance, any of the following drug crimes can result in your arrest and prosecution on federal drug charges:

  • Transporting drugs across a state line
  • Distributing drugs across a state line
  • Shipping drugs across a state line
  • Shipping drugs in the US mail
  • Transporting, shipping or mailing illegal drugs across the US border
  • Conspiracy with a person in another state to sell drugs or transport illegal drugs
  • Using the Internet to sell or distribute illegal drugs
  • Transportation of illegal drugs on airplanes
  • Transportation of illegal drugs in boats on federal waters (Jurisdictional limit for US states)
  • Drug crimes involving large amounts of illegal drugs
  • Money laundering of profits from drug crimes

Drug trafficking is really the same thing as the transportation of drugs and involves moving illegal drugs from one location to another location by any means.

Federal drug crimes result in a longer and mandatory minimum sentence and there is no time off for good behavior in the federal prison system.  Being charged in federal court with a drug crime can result in your incarceration without a bond or bail.

Considerations determining the severity of a drug offense include whether the crime involves manufacturing illegal drugs, selling illegal drugs, possession with the intent to sell illegal drugs, possession of a large quantity of illegal drugs (which indicates intent to sell illegal drugs), and the classification under the federal drug schedule. The Controlled Substances Act provides the authority and criteria for classification of drugs.

If you have been arrested on federal drug charges, and you can have a free consultation with a drug lawyer or drug attorney.